HISTORY IN BRIEF
History has recorded our beginnings here at Greater Springfield as very meager and humble; starting out in a small little house located on Orme Street in 1873 where Reverend Hill was our first under-shepherd.
Our history is not without a testament of faith for why our church has been able to exist to present. In the early 1920’s the church burned down and later condemned. Although the church experienced hard times, they were committed Christians who strived to continue the work of the Lord and to rebuild their church.
While on Orme Street in 1926, the United States Government and the State of Georgia purchased all property rights and used that property (now known as Techwood Drive) to build the campus of Georgia Institute of Technology.
On December 11, 1927 two milestones were reached when the “Greater” portion of the name was added to become (Greater Springfield) and the congregation held services in their new church located here at 721 Jones Avenue.
In 1942, Reverend O. C. Woods (lst photo insert) was called to pastorate this fine congregation and he did so diligently until his death in 1974.
On July 23, 1975, Reverend Solomon Whitfield, Jr. (second photo insert) was called to the pastorate of Greater Springfield Baptist Church. Reverend Whitfield served with compassion and diligence, as he sought to build upon the strong established legacy of the church until his retirement in 2006 after 31 years of service.
Our history would not be complete without the names of those who have been intricate parts in helping the church to strive for so long; their tireless efforts and prayers has served to see Greater Springfield grow….
Under- Shepherds: 1873 – 1912
Rev. J.H. Sims
Rev. W. M. Phillips
Rev. C. J. Hardy
Under- Shepherds: 1912 – 1942
Rev. J. W. Johnson
Rev. A.J. Walker
Under- Shepherd: 1942 – 1974
Rev. O.C. Woods
Under- Shepherd: 1975 – 2006
Rev. Solomon Whitfield, Jr.
Under- Shepherd: 2008 – Current
Rev. Tracy B. Wheeler, Sr.